Sunday, November 13, 2011

EON [BOOK REVIEW]

EON
By: Alison Goodman
Published: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Firebird
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Summary: For years, Eon's life has been focussed on magical study and sword-work, with one goal: that he be chosen as a Dragoneye, an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; the penalty is death. When Eona's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a struggle for the Imperial throne. Eona must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic . . . and her life.

The characters were great. I noticed that there was a lot of relationship building and trust between all the characters which could easily be broken by a single lie. I think the trust that Eon had with his friends throughout the story was absolutely amazing because during that time period with the emperors and rulers and such, finding trust and loyalty with others is pretty rare. I also liked a lot of the side characters like Ryoko, Lady Dela, Rilla and Chart, and the Master and the other Dragoneyes that were siding with the Emperor. But I hated Lord Ido. He was absolutely evil and cunning and the ending was absolutely weird but in a good way. There were times were I would get pissed with how Eon thought of himself because even though she had a lot of pride, she always questioned herself especially with the end result of the ceremony. I mean she's got to have some faith in herself at least through the middle of the story.

I absolutely enjoyed this book but I did not fall in love with it because there was points where I kinda got annoyed with the main character but now that I finished the entire book, I understand why the plot was the way it was. This book appeared to have a lot of story building but I did like how the story jumped right into it. I was not bored at all in because most books would usually give like a general background and such and I really liked how this book was different. The plot also had a lot of mystery and twists and with a lot of action which was one of the best parts of the story. I also loved the mix of their traditions with the dragons and the connections that they would have. The plot was absolutely amazing.

I would recommend this book looking for a good book that's similar to some aspects of Mulan but not completely. Someone who enjoys twists of magic, and dragons, and action with adventure, then you should totally read this book. I actually wasn't disappointed that there was no romance in here. With the plot of this book, I think that it was OK that there was no romance. I absolutely cannot wait to read the sequel EONA. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment