Monday, September 26, 2011

Fire [Book Review]

Fire
By: Kristen Cashore
Published: September 24, 2009
Publisher: Gollancz
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Finished on: August 26, 2011

Summary: She has been hidden away. Now she is choosing to use her power. It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. Young King Nash clings to the throne, while rebel lords, in the north and south, build armies to unseat him. War is coming. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose startling appearance is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her. Everyone … except Prince Brigan.

I’m giving this book a 4/5 stars. I liked it, but not to the point of totally loving it. (:
Kristin Cashore’s writing style is very different from any other book that I’ve read and it showed much more in Fire then in Graceling. Or maybe it’s just because I don’t read other books that contain these elements: like pregnancy and prevention. I’ve never read books that contain these unless it’s school related books but I’m not complaining that it’s bad either.

The plot was kinda slow for me in the beginning. But it’s got nice adventure scenes and some love tension between some characters which was nice. It took me like 200 pages before I got totally engrossed, but I loved how it ended <3 It was way better than the ending for Graceling. xD

The characters were awesome, and for some reason, Brigan reminded me of this one disney character’s personality but I can’t remember who. Once you get towards the middle of the story, there’s an introduction of multiple different characters and I enjoyed all of them. I thought that it was funny to read about how Nash tries not to show his affection but he tries so hard and that’s pretty admirable considering Fire’s position. And I also loved how I got to know more about Leck and his past.

To be truthful, I enjoyed Graceling much more than Fire. I think it’s because Graceling was so good in my opinion, I had such high expectations for Fire that it didn’t just cut it for me. And the book I got had many different review in the inside flap and one mentioned that it was going to be a “memorable love story” and I love romance in my books, but their connection didn’t cut it for me. It was good but not compared to what was written about them. But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it.

I don’t know if it’s just me and that I’m not paying close enough attention but I got confused throughout the story quite a lot of times. But I think that this book had some unanswered questions that I didn’t get. I hope that it all ends well with the final book (:

No comments:

Post a Comment