Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Maze Runner [Book Review]

The Maze Runner
By: James Dashner
Publication: October 6, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers
Rating: 4/5 Stars.
Finished on: September 17, 2011

Summary: When Thomas wakes up in the life, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to eh Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as  long as anyone can remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, for just as long, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the Maze after dark. The Gladers were expecting Thomas’s arrival.

There were a lot of Gladers in the story but there were only a couple of main ones. Thomas was or is the bravest of them all because of the actions that he chooses to do for others. I also like Minho, Newt, and Alby but I didn’t like how they were always keeping so many secrets in the beginning of the story. It got to the point where I was so bored because there was no “new” information that kept me interested. And I felt so sad for what happened to Alby and Chuck. Chuck was probably my most favorite character. His ramblings even though they were stuck in the maze seemed like he was a normal kid trying to make conversations.

The overall plot was amazing. I just wished that they would have release little by little info throughout the beginning, and middle of the story because it was just really slow for me in the beginning. I think according to most people, it would be considered a “reasonable pace” but I like books where it just grabs me into the whole story. Or it was probably because I had my hopes too high since many people said it was super good. However, after you get through the beginning, the rest of it is just awesome.

My only problem was the pacing in the beginning of the book. But this book had a lot of thrillers, and fighting and action and scary monsters, and killing, so if you like those things, go for it! xD

No comments:

Post a Comment